The Living Room

Wordle: living room

Monday, August 17, 2009

I Just Love Food so Darn Much

I have missed my city. I mean, I've been here, I have just not made time to do any experiential eating in the last couple of months.

I miss Le Happy, where I can play a semi-long-haul trucking boardgame from the late seventies, drink a fine Tempranillo, and chow down on a crepe full of honey-cured ham on a plate right next to a crepe full of Nutella, or Bananas Foster. En Flambe, even.

I miss Mehri's bakery, down the street from me as I head to Woodstock to FedEx a box of sweet surprises to an old coworker. Her hand-crafted rolls and wedding cakes in progress remind me of why I went to culinary school, and also make me want to come play with gum paste. Gum paste lilies last a lot longer than the real thing.

I haven't been to Cupcake Jones in an unforgivable time, I was practically a staple of the place not long ago. Best buttercream icing for cupcakes in town, hands down. St. Cupcake markets better, and wastes more paper in helping you get them home safely, but unless the cupcakes are for a party or someone (luck dog) other than you...who on earth do you think you're kidding? A cupcake from them isn't going to make it back up the block to Everett, where your car is parked, much less home. It will be safely in your belly. Where it belongs.

It's been far too long since I paid a visit to another of my favorite places in the world, Bridgeport Brew Pub and Bakery. I mean beer, and bread, all in the same place? It's not just a marketing ploy when they call it "Beervana." A lot of their product involves their in-house brews, and that's just smart, and delicious. I could definitely work there.

Saturday is my brunch day for Delta Cafe, here on Woodstock. Nothing says good home cookin' like brioche french toast. My head has been light just thinking about it recently. I will let you know how that goes. If they can fry up bread and eggs as excellently as they can feed my need for starches, cheese, and deep-fried veggies in the middle of the night, I will be a happy camper.

Food stories updated next week? Let me know if there's a place you've been dying to try. I'm all for sharing my eating nirvana with others!
-M

1 comment:

molls said...

now I'm hungry. Sheesh.

I miss Le Happy too! Such a happy lil place...such good food. and I only ate there once!

Miss you more, though. Good luck in your culinary adventures.